Monday, January 25, 2010

Another Lesson in Effort & Surrender

"Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it." - Henry David Thoreau

Hmmm.  I came across this quote and I think I have a problem with it.  I wonder if Thoreau's idea of busy is a little different than mine.  If one is too busy to be looking for success, would he also be too busy to notice that he achieved success?

Last week I decided to continue certain rituals in order to keep myself grounded and to further rehab for my knee.  I managed to maintain certain stretches, but couldn't keep up with the mat exercises because I just plain didn't have time in the morning.  I feel like time shifts so easily beneath my feet.  Sometimes I am able to stand up on it as it moves beneath me and other times I am totally sunk.  I just keep trying to do the best I can, which sometimes means getting 15 minutes more of sleep which doesn't account for the hour or two I'm behind.  Sleep is very important to me the older I get.  Likewise, change seems to take longer.  Could it be that I'm just trying to slow down in order to recognize the changes?

Whatever is going on, I think the issue I have with time, also has to do with when to make effort and when to let go.  There's a reason for savasana at the end of an intense yoga class...

No comments: