Thursday, August 18, 2011

Alterations



"Each telling of a history, speech, situation, proclamation, translation, or revelation had to be altered, at least a little, to fit its times or the customs of its hearer. And so convincingly did he have to sell his words, throwing himself into them with the passion of a true believer, that it became increasingly worrisome for him to remember for whom he had invented which chronicle, revealed what secrets, claimed which kinship, or inserted which omissions..."

This is a quote from "The Book of Portraiture," specifically the first chapter. The authentic, transparent depiction of the women I interview for my project is of the utmost concern of mine. I cannot deny that I have biases. All I can do is be honest with them. This is resting heavily on my mind these days.

Oh, and why did I post these particular pictures? Appearances and functionality of objects can change and so can the stories we tell to describe them. My guess is that the way I retell the stories about my curly hair or my blistered feet could also change over time. Memory also changes. The point is to make the effort to use the best pictures to tell the stories so at least they stay close to original intention of the stories they represent.

No comments: