Sunday, May 9, 2010

Finally! The last set of readings (#8)

From the Forward written by Richard Shaull in Paulo Freire's book Pedagogy of the Oppressed:

"I am encouraged when a man of the stature of Paulo Freire incarnates a rediscovery of the humanizing vocation of the intellectual, and demonstrates the power of thought to negate accepted limits and open the way to a new future. ...Freire is able to do this because he operates on one basic assumption: that man's ontological vocation (as he calls it) is to be a Subject who acts upon and transforms his world, and in so doing moves towards ever new possibilities of fuller and richer life individually and collectively. This world to which he relates in not a static and closed order, a given reality which man must accept and to which he must adjust; rather, it is a problem to be worked on and solved."

In addition to this book, I perused articles regarding Freire's work in preparation to helping lead a class next week regarding Pedagogy of the Oppressed. The articles were quite helpful in giving good examples of how to engage students in the classroom. Freire's work centered around adult education in Third World countries, but the same can be applied in many educational systems. I think this will assist me a lot in my teaching at Easthaven Elementary school (something I realize I haven't even mentioned on this blog until now). Most notable about Freire's book, well - the chapter I read most intently (chapter 2), was his idea of the "banking" concept opposed to problem-posing concept in education. This relates most directly to "teacher-centered" opposed to "student-centered" instruction that was discussed earlier in the quarter. Right now, I really just want more experience putting these ideas into action. Relevance, relevance.

Okay, with my readings done, it's time get something to eat and ready myself for four hours of rehearsal after which I will come home and start writing multiple papers. (Come on summer!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my good grief! Your readings are so deep and complex I'm afraid I would have given up by now. Kudos to you tho for following through and acting on what you've drawn from the readings and quotes. I did like this one: 'instantly definable is instantly forgettable.' Summer will soon be here and I hope it hurrys for your sake. Love you.