Saturday, May 8, 2010

Quick Note from Reading #5

This year I have had the awesome opportunity to work with Maree ReMalia through her choreographic work and now as someone helping her document her process. Tonight I took some time to re-read a draft of her MFA project proposal. From her proposal, I offer this quote which I think is timely:

"In her book, A Director Prepares, Anne Bogart discusses distortion and states that the 'instantly definable is instantly forgettable.'" (How wonderful that I was just reading that this morning.) This quote says so much about Maree's process. Being in her rehearsals, I can attest to Maree's use of distortion. Having performed in Within a Formal Circumstance I have first hand knowledge of enjoying the work by discovering what issues come up for me personally instead of Maree telling me what to feel. Read more about Within a Formal Circumstance on her blog at http://mahiree.wordpress.com/mfa-project-rehearsallabs/.

Photo credit: Tsung-Hsin Lee

No comments: