Saturday, May 8, 2010

Quick Note from Reading #6

From "is any body home?" embodied imagination and visible evictions, I pull this quote:

"Our culture's increasing valorization of the visible has greatly reduced the sensual thickness of lived experience to a single and dare I say soulless dimension."

A few things are running through my head, mostly images of.... well, images. Thursday I posted a manipulated photograph of myself to represent how I felt at the time. I was thinking about intensity and about how I would see the manipulated photograph and how my eyes in the photograph might reflect how I see. On a more embodied level, I am working with this in my solo Bear Traps and Other Impressions when I stand on stage looking at people in the audience; seeing them see me see them and then I proceed to play through different scenarios of how I feel perceived or the excuses I might make for my first impressions. The act of performing this solo is my attempt at addressing my lived experience, regardless of how it is perceived by the audience.

No comments: