Thursday, August 5, 2010

Bearnstow 2010 - Day 4

Yesterday was a relief. I wonder if the fourth day of workshops here are typically like this. Like Monday in a regular week has a certain feel, Wednesday, definitely Friday, of course Sunday – does the arc of workshops play out similarly? Just a curiosity. Here’s how my Thursday at Bearnstow played out:

We worked on theme and variation, starting off by picking movement based on any movement we created earlier in the week and then manipulating it. We moved next to text. We wrote one phrase and worked on variation. Here’s where things took a turn for me. Without painfully searching for something particularly clever to write, words just came to me. “I’ve been watching you.” Many possibilities here. Many comedic possibilities. I finally have a kernel of a new solo that feels relevant. I won’t have a finished product before I leave. Claire isn’t expecting a finished piece by the end of Friday (er, that would be today), so I’m happy.

I must mention a couple of other wonderful happenings today. 1) I had a long discussion with Vicki Angel concerning the Lincoln Center Institute and arts education. Vicki’s participation in this workshop has been a very happy coincidence for me. I see a visit to the LCI in my future! 2) I helped Claire create a Facebook event for her upcoming shows in the New York Fringe Festival. We are also coming up with plans to redesign her website. I'm super psyched about this! (Check out her current website for information about her performances – http://www.cportables.com.)

To sum up my Thursday at Bearnstow, I would have to say I am once again excited about possibilities. I am getting a lot out of this week – not only choreographically, but also professionally. I am inspired! This is why we come to Bearnstow isn’t it?

No comments: