Saturday, August 7, 2010

Bearnstow 2010 - Day 5

For our last full day of the workshop we began with a morning movement and vocal warm-up. We told stories to a partner across the room and then shared the stories with the rest of the group. Although they were exercises in projecting our voices, some really interesting stories were told. Some of the stories could have been their own scripts already.

For the rest of the morning and early afternoon, we were left to our own devices. I finished what was to be my first draft of a script. (I still don’t have it titled though.) I gave myself about 125 words to memorize. I was a little worried about this since we were showing our work at 3:30. I used my time to focus on the words, think of a spatial pattern and gather an idea of what kind of movement I was going to perform. I never had a chance to rehearse movement full out. I found myself muttering a lot yesterday - just wandering around imagining what I “might” be doing while I uttered words. (It turned out fine. I improvised movement that wasn’t too complicated and only forgot two words that were probably unnecessary to begin with.)

3:30 rolled around. A few community members who joined us Wednesday at the community center came back to see what we came up with. Overall, I thought we all presented wonderful beginnings of work that I think most of us will continue developing. After showing all the pieces, Claire had us go up to each other and talk about what we saw. I loved this approach! It was like having a cocktail party instead of a straight feedback session where we all take time for one person individually and skim over our reactions. Claire’s approach allowed for more time for everyone and everyone gave feedback. I’m going to have to steal this method!

After dinner – another wonderful, delicious dinner – we convinced Claire to perform for us. We shared our work after all - it was her turn! I am always so amazed by her. So clever this human being. She performed about 20 minutes worth of Namely Muscles, which she will perform next week. I hadn’t seen this one before and I completely loved it. Her character development is always thorough and her performance spot on (of course). I love being reminded why I am so attracted to someone! She’s the kind of performer/choreographer I aspire to become. She seems at home being in front of people, speaking, moving - creating little worlds for the audience to step into. She has a certain…. She just has a way about her that is different than most performers and I don’t quite have the words yet. I’ll get back to you.

No comments: