Saturday, December 24, 2011

Class and Rehearsal for Hand-cranked Projector



This is the first draft of the montage from a class and rehearsal with Real Women Dancing (RWD), a group of women in east Texas featuring Juanita Finkenberg, Linda Choate, Vicki Baggett, Kerry Lemon and Sarah McMullan. When I watched the hours of footage I have of RWD, I became even more aware of time. RWD's concentration during ballet barre exercises requires patience, patience that women of their age gracefully embody. I am reminded of an interview with Maya Deren regarding the temporality of women. Here is a link to a youtube video that includes the interview as well as still shots of Deren's work.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhEOOpbJKEc

This silent video short (which by the way, will also be projected through a hand-cranked projector), will later have an accompanying commentary on my website.  The commentary will be taken from my interview of Juanita Finkenberg, founder of Real Women Dancing. Right now though, I'm going to publish this post, put up some laundry and then walk the dog around the block before getting ready for bed.  It's Christmas Eve and soon to be a day that I promised David that I'll refrain from working.

No comments: