Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Suite 155 for Hand-cranked Projector




This is the first draft of Suite 155 featuring Benita Bedell and Marianne Gryder from the Bellingham group. Like Monkeys, Suite 155 will project through one of the hand-cranked projectors. This is the only footage I have where the subjects are so concerned with the camera. Benita reminds me a bit of myself as a teenager when I would be in public with my grandfather.  I would be slightly embarrassed, but entertained at the same time. This documentary-style short is somewhat reminiscent of the Lumiére Brothers's Baby's Lunch.  The movement is obviously different from Monkeys (see previous post) - no dancing, but plenty of gestural material.  I love Benita's direct look to the camera at 18 seconds into the short as if to imply, "Are you getting this?"  I'll post the video with sound for the behind-the-scenes commentary that will go on the website.

(I find these early documentary-style black and whites interesting, but I hate the soundtracks.  I mute them or find something of my own to play.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What-the-hay was I talking about? I sent Benita the link. You've really been working.