Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day Three - National Park Manuel Antonio

By the time we got to the park, we only had an hour before the park closed at 4pm. That didn’t give us much time to explore the wildlife or plant life as much as we wanted. That said beautiful movement studies of monkeys, lizards, birds, and deer presented themselves on the beach that day. I have some great video footage, but for the sake of quickly uploading images, I will pull some stills from the video, so keep reading...

Alexis and I held back from the group and executed our own “Noticed What We Notice” walk, an exercise Simone Forti writes about in “Animate Dancing.” I noticed that I watched the other students for clues about wildlife. If they bent over to see lizards or looked up to see monkeys swinging in the trees, I followed their leads. They became indicators for me. When we made it to the first beach on the trail, they immediately indicated that they were going to swim. I don’t think they could shed their clothing down to their swimsuits fast enough. I couldn’t blame them – it was a beautiful day and a beautiful beach and they needed to blow a little steam in some relaxing water. To my surprise, they were ready to dance when Alexis and I queued them to get out of the water and go over what they wanted to share with the group for our “Human/Animal Motions” activity. For the most part we were all able to deduce which animals were represented. This activity was just a taste of what we could work on more throughout the week here and something we could develop more after we return to the US.

Some quick thoughts about what I saw:

The looseness of shoulders in Meredith and Joanna’s monkey dance...





The lines of lizards that Kiki and Brittany saw...



The nonchalance of a wandering deer performed by Mary and Haley...




The cautious inquisitiveness of Rachel and Emily’s black bird...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks amazing. sorry you only had an hour at that lovely little beach but glad you got to see it and the animal/human dances look wonderful. I hope everyone is doing well! Norah